Saturday, January 02, 2010

Speaks to my heart


Ramblings of an ole grandma ...
You might wonder why I post a picture of a cardboard box of toys, I'll tell you why. There is over 30 years of memories in that box. Toys from Aunt Donna's. Tracy, Stephanie and Jennifer played with the Playschool People and then Kimberly and Erin, played with those same toys and then followed by Benjamin and Elisa, Brandi maybe Bonnie and Kris might recognize them and now they are played with by our precious grandchildren. There is Ethan's tiger in there and his wooden gun. Zackary loved setting up the town with the airport. Henry and Maggie will play with them and I'm sure Aubrey, being a wonderful big sister will play with those with her new baby sister. I am decluttering, someone might say that those toys are just something the kids played with long ago and they need to go, but to me, those toys are evidence of lives lived. On the movie UP, the guy kept holding onto his stuff. I never understood that before now in my life. That stuff is evidence of a life lived. It's tangible artifacts of time passed. In the end of his movie he had to get rid of his stuff in order to continue on with life but here in our home, we don't have any movie climax plot that has to be resolved, we still have room to store those old toys even though they are only played with occasionally.I love those toys. I know they are just things but I love them. So, for now, we will keep them.

3 comments:

Us: said...

I'm glad you're not getting rid of those toys. In fact, I can't wait till my children play with them, which I'm sure they will very often, since we'll be going to Mimi's house very often. :)

Hosanna said...

My mom saved all our toys too. I'm glad she did.

Unknown said...

you have no idea how great it is to see my children playing with toys that I loved. keep them.

I see from a human stand point