Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pretty Weird To Me



Today I was reading Exodus 4:24 - Sometimes it seems I don't get it ... God is so different from me and my understanding. I read things and wonder ... what in the world is He thinking?
Exodus 4:24 Here Moses and his family on their way to Egypt to set God's people free, to confront the Pharaoh.

At a lodging place on the way the Lord met him and sought to put him death.
Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it and said, "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!"
So he (God) let him alone. It was then that she said, "A bridegroom of blood," because of the circumcision.

That was shocking to me. Here one minute God and Moses are great friends going on this awesome mission and then the next moment God is going to kill him because Moses son is not circumcised. 
It seems like his wife, Zipporah is really mad at the situation and is saving her husband's life by circumcising their son, she seems to be disgusted by the sign of the covenant. John MacAurthur mentioned that it was a job Moses should have performed previously but neglected because Moses was comforting his wife rather then listening to God. Now Zipporah's hand was forced to save her husbands life and she was mad. Wow! Now there is some family drama.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the whole circumcision thing is confusing to me...

I see from a human stand point